Re: WATER PUMP POLL

The main reason for replacement of the water pump at the time you have
the top of the engine all apart is because of all the work it takes to
get there. (Same logic goes for doing a tune-up at the same time.There
may still be some life left in the old water pump but because of the
age and mileage (in most cases) it makes sense to replace it. For
preventitive purposes you should also replace the thermostat,
otterstadt switch and seal, belts, and idler pulley bearings. Yes, the
price of all these parts adds up but what does a tow cost? And you
will still have to replace the parts. If you want to have a reliable
car that you can have confidence in you need to know that all of these
parts are good and not near the end of their service life. BTW if you
take out the radiator I am willing to bet it is green around the
edges! You should consider replacing it too. Gee, this can get
expensive! I replaced my water pump at 3,000 miles and there was
evidence of seeping from the weep hole. Mileage isn't everything,
sitting long periods of time takes it's toll on the seal (corrosion).
David Teitelbaum
vin 1075