Re: Head lamps

I recommend anyone considering changing their headlights educate
themselves. There is a lot to know about this and many people simply
get sucked in by hype. For example, there are no legal or safe
conversions to HID using aftermarket lenses unless the lenses are
designed for the HID capsules used. The Sylvania Xenarc HID kit is
the only one I know of that offers this for the Delorean's H4656
sealed beams. Buying housings and installing HID capsules not
specifically designed for them will make for a pretty to look at
light but the beam quality will be near useless and dangerous. Use
the Xenarc kit or stay with white halogen in the 4000-5000K color
range.

If you're going to upgrade your headlights it's best to go with H4
halogen lamps in aftermarket housings (of which only a very few are
DOT approved) and stay away from the blue filtered bulbs. (There are
a few filtered bulbs that are legal and safe but they still perform
worse than clear halogens.) The rest (a vast majority) of the blue
filtered halogens being hyped these days are a scam and put out less
lumens than clear lamps. In addition, the wavelength emmited will
cause problems in rain and fog. Improving the wiring will go a long
way too. A voltage drop of only a few percent will cut lamp output by
a large amount.

Also, true HID has been shown to not neccesarily be the best "kind"
of light for driving. Again, the best method is to edjucate oneself
with the knowledge to make a sound decision based on science and not
pretty headlights or hype. How the human eye responds to light is a
very complex subject and has been intensely studied in the aviation
world. There is much information to be had on the web, I recommend
Sylvania's website or any site that is more interested in informing
you than taking your money. A good place to start is here:
http://lighting.mbz.org