Re: Factory Wheel Measurements?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Scott Gardner" <gardners14@xxxx>
wrote:
> but I can't find any information regarding the backspacing or
offset of
> the stock wheels.
> So far, it looks like the biggest problem is going to be the
> back wheels. Once source I found lists the offset as 95mm...

Hi Scott.

I measured my wheels offset at one point, and then promptly neglected
to document the information, as I knew (wrongly) I would never need
it again.

Nonetheless, I'm fairly certain that the offset of the rear wheels is
not 95mm. I likely would have remembered something that extreme.
>From a geometric standpoint, 95mm offset is overwhelmingly unlikely.

If you still have your wheels, you can measure the offset yourself.
You'd be doing people a favor. I don't think that info's published
anywhere.

Take the wheel, lay it outer face down. Put a straightedge on the
wheel resting on opposite sides of the rim, not the tire. Use a
ruler or tape measure to measure the distance from the bottom of the
straightedge to the mounting surface of the wheel. (This,
incidentally, is the back spacing, though nobody will ever care)
Subtract 1/2 the nominal tire width, 8 for back 6 for front.
Subtract an additional 1/2 inch (12mm) to account for the amount the
wheel is wider than nominal (By a convenient accident the extra width
is very close to exactly an inch, if memory serves me).

The result will be the offset. My memory is that both were positive,
the front more so than the rear, but it's been a long time.

After you're done measuring them, maybe you can spread that info
around. Others have asked. Gee, one day on the list, and people are
already making you work.

About the different wheel sizes on the Delorean. While it is not
strictly necessary to put a smaller and narrower wheel in the front
than in the back, it is probably advisable to not screw with the
geometry too much. The front wheel was deliberately specified much
smaller than the rear wheel by the car designers, to help compensate
for the undesirable rear weight bias of the car. The design intent
was to improve the probability that when you go around a corner too
fast, the front wheels, which have less traction because of their
small size, would start to slide first. As the difference in size
between front and rear tires is diminished, it becomes progressively
more likely that the rear wheels will slide first.

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding wheels that are made in
the different diameters/widths.

Rick Gendreau