Re: Autocross / Tail of the Dragon (Pidgeon Forge)

Re: Autocross / Tail of the Dragon (Pidgeon Forge)

Gus,

I agree an autocross would be great, but do not forget about nearby
Tail of the Dragon, 40 miles of driving bliss. First 11 miles goes
from 2,660 feet to above 5,300 feet, then you start back down to a
low of about 900 feet. Recommended speed limit 40 mph in Tennessee,
with 55 mph allowed in the North Carolina portion. Both have regular
radar checks by car and by helicopter. I highly recommend everybody
performing complete brake maintenance before attempting this run.
More details can be found at the following websites:

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html

http://www.mountainhomepage.com/chero_ron/loop.html

Motorcycle clubs make this run on a regular basis in good weather.
The National Ferrari club made an assault on the Dragon in 2001.

It would be great to see a huge caravan of Deloreans run the Dragon
in 2004. It would be even better to do this without incident.

Food for thought.

Later,
Rich W.