oozing windshield sealant/reseating window

oozing windshield sealant/reseating window

[Moderator Note: I'm approving this post because it furthers the technical discussion of this topic. I realize it is a bit antagonistic, but the email address includes the subscriber's real name, so it is not anonymous. - Mike Substelny, DML moderator of the week]

Dont be afraid of removing and reseating windshields yourself.remember they are made of safety glass and the worst thing that will happen is that you crack it and have to get a new one.Also I been around shops that do glass work and I can tell you they are not careful at all when taking it out.I saw two guys even start prying this winshield out with a large screwdriver because they didnt want to take the time to do it right.To remove the winshield you will need at least two people.Cover everything around the windshield with blankets preferably old ones since the black goop gets everywhere.Get a couple cheap sets of guitar strings or piano wire and two pieces of wood to use as handles.you will need to use the thin silver guitar strings or piano wire to slowly and carefully saw through the sealer all the way around the window.You will need you friend to be inside the car and the two of you should work it back and forth like a band saw.try to exert as little upward pressure as possible while doing this.It will take quite a while to go all the way around and it will take at least two times around before the goop is ready to let go.once you think it is ready you should have your friend (or yourself) gently use outstreched arms and open palms to push the glass outward VERY VERY gently.Someone (I recomend you have someone on each side of the car)should be on the outside with there hands against the windshield to make sure it does not pop or lunge out suddenly.Windshields get more brittle with age but if you are very careful you should be able to set it down on a pile of soft blankets or wrap it in blankets and stand it against something without breaking it.This is a labour intensive job so if you are a wimp (like most of the people on this list) dont even attempt it.The sealer you need to reseat it can be purchased at most auto parts stores.make sure you clean all the old sealer off the car and the winshield.Reinstallation is usually where you break the window because you are so tired an impatient by this time that you try to hurry it along,so you might want to make it a two day job.Im sure that Mr Expert whatever his name is will have something to say about this but remember hes the one who takes his car to the shop all the time so can anything he says really be trusted?It would be worth while to purchase some of those big suction cup handles for moving winshields but they are hard to get your hands on.Dont chicken out and decide you want to have the shop put it back in cause you will be pretty embarassed driving up in a DeLorean with no windscreen.You will probably get some bugs in the face if you drive without it too.