Re: [DML] Frame issues and refurbs

I think the appeal of the refurb DMCs is that you don't need to fuss with them.
Everything is fixed, ready to go, with a *warranty*. Someone with $40k to burn probably
uses their garage to store cars, rather than as a workshop for cars.

For instance, I was at DMCH getting new rear wheel bearings while someone was picking up
their refurb DMC. They chose this option because they knew little about the car from a
technical standpoint. (He'd never heard of DMCNEWS, and I encouaged him to take a
look.) I was chatting with him, and we drifted onto the subject of how one can get stuck
in or out of a DeLorean (probably scared him half to death!) and mentioned the exterior
plastic door handles snapping off in the cold. He decided to buy the replacement metal
ones on the spot and have them installed before he left.

When he asked to have this done, it was explained that this was ALREADY done, as part of
the refurb. I agree that $40k is alot of money but if you're not a mechanic and don't
like mailing lists :-) then it's a great way to get a low-maintenance classic car.

Of course, the warranty value diminishes with the distance from the service shop.

Gus Schlachter
VIN# 4695
Austin, TX