Re: Transmission computer parts?

Hey Greg. I did this about a year and a half ago, and I ran into
trouble finding components as well. But i eventually found some great
tantalum caps. They are wet tantalums, with a temperature rating of
400 F !! They have all different sizes, I went with 50 V, 10 uF. They
are small enough to fit into the computer boards without any problems.
One thing though, they were very expensive: $20 dollars per cap!!!
But these are great caps, same ones used by the military and NASA.
Here's the link. And I ordered them through the distribution company
called Avnet. The links to distributors are on the site too. Good
luck.

Adam Price

http://www.vishay.com/products/capacitors/tantalum.html

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Greg Linstad <greglinstad@xxxx> wrote:
> In the dmcnews archives Mark Hershey wrote an excellent article
with
> pictures about the rework done to the boards and identifying the
> replacement components. I have been searching for the tantalum caps
he
> listed, but am having difficulty locating metal ones like the ones
> shown. I can easily get the correct values ( 4.7 to 10 microfarad,
> 50 volt) but not in metal, only epoxy (yellow) in radial or axial
leads.
> I'm looking now in a Digikey catalog and see what looks like metal,
but
> says ceramic. Also, solid tantalum, 'wet slug', tantalum capacitors
or
> tantalum electrolytic capacitors, molded solid tantalum, please you
EE