Re: How difference between 500+ page Vinyl repair manual and vender's on

Re: How difference between 500+ page Vinyl repair manual and vender's one

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxx>" <
jtrealty@xxxx> wrote:
> I have noticed in the couple of Workshop manuals I have seen that
> there is a large chunk missing from the Automatic Transmission
> section. I bet 95% of people have never noticed it mainly because
> their car is a 5-speed. Another big reason is that unless you are
> actually rebuilding the automatic transmission the missing information
> isn't important. I got my manual from P J Grady and until I pointed
> out to Rob about the missing pages he didn't even realize it. (They
> were able to provide the missing pages). Besides the "missing pages"
> there are numerous errors throughout the manual, some small and some
> large...
<SNIP>

It's very interesting that you bring this up. I have what appears to be a
"bootleg" copy of the workshop manual. A few years ago when I first joined
the DML, I knew that I needed to buy a Workshop Manual to study. So long
story short, I acquired a used one off of the internet. Once I got an new manual
from DMCH though, I just put this one aside, and forgot about it. Pulling it out
of the closet, I've examined it a bit further.

The manual appears to be a "custom" copy that someone hand-edited. For
instance, every page has a # typed in the lower corners. The entire section on
"Frame/Body" is hand typed with only a couple of clip-art inserts from the Parts
Manual. Another thing is that the sections in this manual are labled by
numbers, and not by letters in the "new" maual that I have. The Engine and
Auto Tranny sections are quite detailed with the engine section adding in
photos of the teardown of a B27F motor from a Volvo manual. The Tranny
section is almost the same, but is by far more disoriented in as the layout is
different. But id comes in @ 58 pages long.

Aside from a few custom inserts such as including the template, and
instructions on how to install a rear antenna, there are other variations in the
manual. Some are large in as a 20 page detailed trouble shooting guide for
engine operation including one for the Idle Speed Control circuit, and a
Diagnostic Guide for the LAMBDA ECU. Others are not quite as impressive
such as the Heating & A/C section @ a whopping 6 pages with no explicit
details other than a quick troubleshooting guide. The Tranny section though
also has an interesting tidbit. In the list of "Special Tools", the first is missing
the mention of the C1 Clutch Compressor, but the second paragraph includes
an additional item called a "Converter Oil Seal Inserting Tool", and gives
COMPLTELY different part #'s such as B.Vi714 for the dismantling tool.

In reading both of the manuals, I can tell you that the problem with the
inaccuracies isn't due to incorrect information, so much as incomplete/sloppy
tranlsations and adaptations for the DMC-12 application (ie. the A/C section
has footnotes for 1979 & earlier vehicles). If a rewrite is to be done, then one
person shouldn't take on the entire book. Individual sections should be
completed by people with specific experience in the particular repairs, and
they should be written/proofread one at a time.

Anywho, I just wanted to throw in another 2 cents, and let everyone know that
there appears to be yet another manual out there. Where this one came from,
I've no idea for certain, but only a guess.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"