Re: Ah, the great R12 vs R134 debate...

I looked at the vacuum device you pointed out. I had to go to
robinair.com to get the specs on it though. It will only pull to 29.7"
mercury. This is enough to remove the refrigerent but nowhere near
enough to pull a deep vacuum of micron range (you want to get in the
400-500 micron range to boil out all of the moisture). Go to
robinair.com and read all about evacuation of A/C systems and why you
want to remove as much moisture as you can. Generally there is no
substitute for quality tools, the vacuum pump I use is a robinair but
not the air operated one! In many cases it does not pay to get the
tools for a particular job unless you use them often. For instance I
do not have a tire changer, balancer, exhaust gas analyzer, or
alignment rack. This equipment is just too expensive unless it is used
often, it is much smarter to find a shop that has good equipment and
KNOWS how to use it properly. For most people A/C work is best left to
profesionals who can afford the best equipment, deal with all of the
paperwork and legal requirements. There is also some level of danger
in handling the high pressures and the refrigerent so unless you know
what you are doing it is safer to take it to a shop. I do not want to
discourage anyone from working on their cars but some procedures are
best left to others. For instance I would never recommend anyone
trying to do their own glass work, it is just too dangerous and
expensive if you damage the glass. Remember the most important thing
is to work safely so you can enjoy your car. Nobody can do everything.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh@xxxx>
wrote:

> This isnt directly delorean realted but helpful for servicing
themThere is a cheap alternative to having the shop service your air
conditioning system.It is a small "air vac" vacuum pump driven by air
from your air compressor.With this thing and a cheap set of gauges and
hoses which can be got at most auto parts stores you can serivice it
yourself.there are also kits available for flushing the system
yourself which arent to expensive.The air vac can pull enough vacuum
to evacute almost any system including the DeLoreans.Here is a link to
where you can pick up this handy
gadget-------.http://www.autotoolexpress.com/airvacforr12.html ----.It
cost around $60 dollars which is quite a deal compared to the
$300-$800 a regular vacuum pump costs. There are even shops who you
use this thing.The cost of the air vac and hoses/gauges altogether
shouldnt exceed $120.00 excluding shipping,but you should be able to
find a dealer near you.The people who generally carry the air vac on
hand sell to garages so it wont be a retail store.There is a set of
r134 fitting adapters which should be included with any gauge set you
buy make sure they are before you purchase it.I believe discount auto
parts has a set right behind the parts counter hanging on a display
rack near the o-rings for ac systems.If you have any further questions
email me off list.