Re: [DML] 3rd brake light kit

Christian,

You are correct about the 3rd brake light unit that we have used on a few
of the groups Deloreans. It is a GM unit from a late 90's Suburban. It is
about 16" wide but only 1" tall and 2" deep, molded in black plastic with
LED's all the way across the back.
I normally mount these up under the top louver across the back. What I do
is cut a slot thru the rib/support under the top louver in the same shape as
a cross section thru the 3rd brake light. The rib/support is deep enough to
allow this without cutting the rib apart. I position the light unit about 1"
back from the back edge of the louver. The light is then slid thru the rib
and installed "upside down," so to speak, with the bottom flat part of the
light going up against the underneath flat part of the louver. The light ends
up being "captured" or held in place by the rib and I also use a little bit
of black RTV / silicone on the bottom of the light to glue the light to the
louver as added security. The wires are then run under the upper louver
forward up to the back of the T-panel and then hidden and run into the rear
facia and tied into the brake light circuit. I normally put a male/female
plug on the wires where they meet the T-panel so the louvers can be removed
with the 3rd brake light attached without any problems.
Like you said, the best part of this installation is the light just
blends in with the louvers and is not noticeable, until you step on the brake
pedal. I also like this unit because these lights themselves are much
brighter then many aftermarket add on 3rd brake lights I've seen. We've had
some guys swap out their existing 3rd light system for this setup just
because of the brightness.
You can see a photo of this installation in the DML / yahoogroups photos
section under "3rd brake lights - Bruce Benson".

Marty