Re: Red Hot Exhaust / Melted Catalytic Converter

Re: Red Hot Exhaust / Melted Catalytic Converter

A glowing catalytic converter is a sign of an over-rich condition with
unburned hydrocarbons in the exhaust. When these unburned hydrocarbons
enter the catalytic converter (which under normal conditions runs
1200-1500 degrees) they burn which causes the temperature of the
coverter to go over 2000 degrees. It can get hot enough to fuse the
matrix of platinum pellets and stainless gratings which can cause the
converter to become "plugged up" or restrict the flow of exhaust
gases. This is most noticeable as a lack of power at high RPM's.
Besides an out of adjustment fuel system one of the more common
causes is a misfiring cylinder caused by a bad ignition wire or spark
plug. Since the fuel isn't consumed in the cylinder it gets into the
exhaust where it burns inside the catalytic converter. Short periods
of this don't always cause permanant damage. Over longer times it will
distort the exhaust system, damage the catalytic converter,
contaminate the O2 sensor, melt nearby plastic and fiberglass, and
possibly set the car on fire. Fuel cools, at least unless it is being
oxidized! I wouldn't try putting out a fire by throwing cool fuel on
it!!!!!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "content22207 <brobertson@xxxx>"