Re: [DML] Re: Teflon oil additive

In a message dated 12/22/02 10:16:51 AM Central Standard Time,
DMCVegas@xxxx writes:

> However, I can tell you this. When you buy synthetic oil, watch out
> for that "Multi-blend" stuff. It's just regular oil with a little synthetic
> blended in to
> up the price a bit. That it itself defeats the purpose of using synthetics.
>
> -Robert
> vin 6585 "X"

Robert and others:
the 'multiblend' oils (such as Quaker State Semi-synthetic, Valvoline
Durablend, etc) are not something to necessarily 'watch out' for. if you are
looking for full synthetic, then yes you would obviously avoid this, but it's
not just a way for them to make more money - the 'multiblends' certainly do
have some degree of superiority over conventional petroleum-based oils, but
are also not as flexible and superior as a full-synthetic. multiblends are
an economical 'middle road' for people who care about their cars more than
the average person or who subject their cars to frequent short trips, etc,
but for those who do not wish to pay a premium price for a premium oil.

in short, there is nothing 'bad' about these oils - they are merely an option
which the buyer can choose when factoring driving habits vs. money vs.
maintenence habits. if old leaky seals are indeed an issue - then perhaps a
multiblend is a good choice for a D owner.

in case anyone is wondering what kind of oil i personally use in my DeLorean,
i have been running just regular Mobil 10w40.

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102