Re: [DML] Re: Teflon oil additive

In a message dated 12/21/02 4:38:49 PM Central Standard Time,
Senatorpack@xxxx writes:

> Is Mobil one synthetic better than conventional oils?
>
> My BMW's (and other European Cars) have a decal attached under the hood
> "requesting" the use of Mobil One synthetic.
>
> The BMW dealers use zero 0w/30 oil.
>
> Michael Pack

I work in the lubrication industry and here's the scoop on synthetics:

syntetic oil has been around a very long time, since at least the 30's
(germany made advances in it's development so they could use it in their
tanks to fight russia)

modern synthetics will NOT 'make' a car leak oil. today's mobile 1 has a
very advanced additives package that will not cause this to happen. older
less advanced synthetics did, simply because synthetic oil has a 100%
synthetic base stock - every molecule of oil is exactly same, as opposed to
the cluster fxck of petroleum products in conventional oil. so if you car
used to have slight oil leaks, it would probably leak more because the oil is
just that good - it finds its way out.

the advantages to running mobil 1/other quality synthetics:
1. most people run extended oil drain intervals (though mobil DOES NOT
recommend this, but synthetics WILL hold up a hell of a lot better than
conventional oil IF you forget to change it at 3,000. typically people with
synthetic run is about 5-6K miles. most professionals recommened changing the
oil filter at LEAST at 3K.)

2. pour point depressents allow the oil to flow adequately at tempertures
below -35F

3. oil will not boil off as easily as conv. oil under high heat, and it will
flow to the upper cams and such MUCH faster than regular oil

4. doesn't oxidate like conv. oil which means your oil won't get as dirty as
fast.

5. improves gas milage due to increased lubrication properties (less
friction= increased engine efficiency and lower operating tempertures)

6. as an effect of easier starting, synthetic oil will keep your sensors and
other engine controls operating more effectively by not producing waste
products under sluggish starting and will increase life of the emissions
system.

really the only downsides to synthetics is that (A) you really shouldn't
switch to it on an old car (including DeLoreans) because the engine is
actually 'used' to lower-quality oils by now, and some of the assembly
methods or components used may not be up to current standards which would
allow synthetic oil use, even from the beginning [this is questionable -
maybe someone who has used synthetics for a long time in their D can comment
on this] and (B) their cost (about 3x the amount of conv. oils.

as bruce benson said, the best thing to do for your car is to use a quality
oil and oil filter and replace your oil and filter EVERY 3K miles (which will
open another can of worms, but if you can't afford to do this even just for
the hell of it, you probably can't afford a DeLorean either)

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102