Re: [DML] Delorean with its tail between its legs

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002, wmack wrote:

> ...but a VW Jetta came racing up behind me. I followed him until we got
> to a pretty big upward hill, then I slammed it back into fourth and
> floored it. I flew past the Jetta and once he saw me, he just took off
> and blew by me. [...] So once again, I got burnt by another little 4
> cylinder.

The VW/Audi I4 engine is not just another "little 4 cylinder." The 1.8
liter turbo engine in those cars is just under 200 horsepower in stock
form, and a simple chip upgrade adds about 30 horsepower. A complete
turbo upgrade brings them up to 250-300 horsepower. It's a very torquey
engine at all these power levels, too.

When I was considering an engine swap on my Delorean, before deciding that
it was just too involved, the VW 1.8T was one of the engines I was
seriously considering using.

So don't feel bad. You weren't beaten by just another little four
cylinder. You were beaten by a really nice little four cylinder. :)

-andrew
Houston TX