Re: [DML] DeLorean's Soul

[Moderator Note: This is the last post I will approve to this peculiar discussion. Merry Christmas Erik, you get your wish. - moderator Mike Substelny]

Get rid of your brain, and you really aren't the same person anymore
right? Take the tags off your car and you don't know what VIN it
is. Most of us call our cars by their VIN number. Just like people
call me "Erik Geerdink" or "Dumb Ass" so I call my car "4512"
and "Money Pit". So my birth certificate says who I am. And my
finger prints prove it. The title on your car says who it is, and
the vin tags prove it. So maybe it doesn't lye in the car, but in
the paper telling it who it is, and the tags proveing it. We can't
compair a car to a human, so we can't assume that they share the
same properties. People have a soul that can not be seen. That
doesn't mean a Delorean has a soul that can not be seen.

If I put my brain in John Deloreans head, I would still be erik, but
just have a different body. If you take your vin tags and put them
on a different car, it would still be your car, but just a different
body.

Now, absolutely none of this makes sense. Why? because cars don't
have souls. and so to define the soul of a car is impossible and
confusing when you even try.
But, I would say the identity of a car lies in two places. The tags
and the title.

Gosh I hope this thread ends.

Erik

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "treehouse2000us"
<treehouse2000us@xxxx> wrote:
> I have no idea how to spell that word! But the point I think
> James L is making is more on a non biological level. Instead
> of a person recieving a 'transplant', what about an electronic
> heart, an iron lung, a stainless steel kidney and a used spleen
> and so on...

[moderator snip]