Re: [DML] New to the group

John, how much time you will have to put into the car, or any older car, and whether or not you should feel comfortable driving it around often, will depend on a number of major things. I think the first thing most DMLers will tell you is that it depends on how well the previous owner(s) have kept up on the car and have put time and money into it. If you get a "project" DeLorean, then obviously you will have to put that in yourself, and the car may be sitting for long periods of time.

But a decently kept DeLorean will run well for you and is amazingly not that difficult to take care of. As you may be able to tell from the list and the vendors that are out there, most parts are easily available. Labor costs can hit you hard if you don't do your own work, but otherwise people's perception of the car as needing *constant* attention and huge amounts of money is somewhat misguided. After all, it's just A CAR, and just like any older car, they will need attention from time to time.

I would recommend finding a mechanic in your area that has worked on DeLoreans before and wouldn't mind working on another once you get one. If you don't do much of your own engine work, then make that guy your friend. Be ultra-nice to him, and he will hopefully return the favor by taking care of your car and doing the best job he can.

Take care and good luck on your quest! It took me years of semi-serious searching and then one full year to finally find a DeLorean in my area (I wasnt willing to travel) and in my price range. But if you've stuck to it throughout the years, that is a good sign. It means that you really DO want one and will do what it takes to take the best care of one that you can.

Richard