Re: refabricate tosion bars

I read James Espey's post that the torsion bars can be fabricated. In
the event that the torsion bars cannot be repreduced I think I could
come up with some kind of torsion spring like is used on large
overhead roll-up doors. The Delorean venders cannot let the scarcity
of a critical part cause use to not be able to use the cars. It would
cause them to go out of biz. Who would spend any money on a Delorean
if you can't open the doors? There would be no service biz or resale
market for us (private owners) or them (Delorean venders). I don't
think it is time to panic as the situation must have been much worse
when DMC went bankrupt and no one knew if ANYONE was going to be able
to service the cars at all! There is a large enough market that it
will pay to keep a pipeline of parts going on into the future. In the
case of the Delorean we are very fortunate in that many of the parts
of the car are not Delorean specific and can be aquired from alternate
sources. This makes it certain that there will be many parts available
at a fair price for a long time. This is not uncommon with old cars.
In many cases either venders come foward to repreduce parts or find
parts that can be adapted to use. The latest example is is the new and
improved door handle from DMC Houston. It is better then the
origional. The Zilla product line was created by a very dedicated
owner when he saw the problems with the origional equipment. There is
a lot of creativity among owners of old cars and they will do what it
takes to keep them going. Some of the Deloran venders are also among
the most dedicated of all of us, they have bet their livelyhoods on
us!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Mike Aninger" <mike@xxxx> wrote:
> It seems to me that the scarcity of these bars is incredible,
especially the drivers side. I also understand that there is a
special cryogenic process to go through to make these things. Even
so, I cannot think of a more important item to remanufacture. With
one going out, safety becomes a big issue for just getting in and out
of the car. Will DMCH or PJ Grady be able to help us on this? Are
there companies out there that make torsion bars? How will we
overcome this problem in the next few years? It saddens me to think
that other cars will be sacrificed and not restored all because of one
bar.