Re: Torsion bar replacement

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh@xxxx> wrote:

> I am intrested to know if anyone out there has replaced the torsion
bars on their dmc with an alternate opening device.Something like
pneumatic pistons or a torsion spring as someone else mentioned.I
like the torsion bars but it is a possibilty that within my life time
they will become nearly impossible to acquire or not affordable. So
alternate methods would be great.

Rick Gendreau writes:

Hi John.

I too, have been worried about torsion bars for my DeLorean. Being
the kind of guy who compulsively solves problems whether I want to or
not, I've designed two different replacements for the torsion bars.
They may both be better than the original design, in my somewhat
biased opinion, though the failure rate of the current torsion bars
doesn't seem to be that bad at all, all things considered. I've only
heard of one so far that broke without evidence of stress
concentration at a hinge scrape. If torsion bars end up scarce, I'll
come out of the closet with the replacements. Until then, I'll keep
a lid on them, as the ideas have some dollar value. If it is indeed
possible (I'm skeptical) that a vendor can offer original-equipment-
equivalent replacement torsion bars at their current cost, I won't
bother releasing the new designs. No matter how it's done, replacing
the torsion bars with a new design or batch should be expected to end
up being expensive, as anyone offering an alternative to will
probably need to justify the liability exposure by jacking up the
price. I hope I'm wrong. Anyway, you needn't worry, alternate
solutions have already been achieved. Your doors will always be able
to open, at a price, whether someone else provides the solution, or I
do it.

Rick Gendreau 11472