Re: Diving for body dies

I have been reading the numerous posts pertaining to the body dies. Being an
avid diver I have seen the effects of saltwater on metal as has anyone who
dives regularly. I have lived on a barrier island on the East Coast and have
had to deal with the effects of not only salt water flooding but salt in the
air on all types of metal on houses and so on. I see what it does to
automobiles over time that are subject to the elements by simply being near
the ocean and the air. As interesting as the story of the dies is, and
although I too would be interested in diving on them as someone who enjoys
diving, any hope of them being salvaged is really impractical. I have seen
what salt water does to normal metal when it is exposed even for a short
time. I worked around boats for many years and anyone who fishes in the
ocean knows what happens to any metal that isn't stainless as a result of
salt water exposure. I am sure the dies have turned into rusted metal chunks
by this point. Even if they were in the sea for only a few months I doubt
they would be able to be refinished. Even if someone had a new set of dies
as James stated how would they ever be able to produce new panels when the
demand is so low for them and recoup their expense in producing them. Again
its a great topic for discussion but the only purpose the dies would serve
today in their present condition is as a diving interest (if they are even
recognizable from decay). The expense to bring them up in their condition
serves no purpose.

Gary
VIN 3360