Re: Re: Cold Start Valve Experiment

Be nice...

In the bad old days, merely replacing a two barrel carb with its 4
barrel relative WOULD yield more HP when the throttle plates were wide
open. Yes, 4 barrel heads are ported differently, but a liveable low
cost alternative was simply to replace the intake manifold and
carburetor. My 400 cu Lincoln has been so converted -- didn't
revolutionize the car, but it does help (original carb was dying
anyway, so why not). Don't start on me about the camshaft: I'll get to
it eventually.

I just wondered if the cold start valve could act like a set of
secondaries. Did you note my full throttle switch isn't being used for
anything else?

Re: increased fuel flow -- have you ever studied a spread bore
carburetor? If that isn't increased fuel flow (on the secondaries), I
don't know what is. In case you don't remember, at the turn of the
decade car companies were dancing to uncle Sam's tune. That's where
spread bore carbs come from. And retarded ignition timing. And lowered
compression. And low lift cams. The list goes on. That's also why
engines were totally revolutionized (at the same time as front wheel
drive) -- you can only dumb down an old style block so far before even
the public doesn't want it anymore.

Re: coil voltage -- I beg to differ again. A stronger spark yields
faster and more complete combustion within the chamber. What do you
think high resistance "performance" plugs are trying to accomplish?
Rather than increasing resistance at the plug, I prefer to increase
the supply. BTW: GM's HEI ignition was designed specifically for this
(remember, at that time everybody else was running 18 - 20 thousand
volts). That's also why Delco plugs were/are among the best available
(pay attention: this is a Ford man talking). Anybody know how many
volts the new coil packs put out?

And of course the biggest question is: if I'm experimenting on my own
car, not yours, what's the problem?

FWIW: I'm still driving the same car I drove in high school. My truck
has 190,000 miles. There are 8 *running* cars in my stable. And to
date the only thing truly broken is poor Bill's bank account.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxx, john fredt <hecklerkochgmbh@xxxx> wrote:
>

> Wiring your cold start valve to the full throttle switch to increase
power with more gas flow?That is a ridiculous notion,you cant just
pump more gas in and expect more power.You will not get anymore power
with a more powerful coil either.You should stop tinkering with stuff
you dont understand before you break something.