Re: The D gets cheaper every day.

That's quite a equasion you've got there, but the comparison is really apples
to oranges. The price of cars now days compared to what they formally were
are not just increased due to simple currency inflation. There are many factors
to take into account.

First, look at the technology that goes into these cars. Engine management
electronics, including fuel injection, emissions controls, electronic
transmissions, OBD II systems, etc... And then there's safety electronics and
features, and these are things such as SRS airbags, ABS brakes, impact
zones,etc... Not to mention the interior comforts and gadgets that many people
expect in new cars.

Now apply this kind of thinking to the DeLorean. Gullwing doors to me, are the
ultimate creature comfort. But they are by no means cheap. Conventional
doors are not so much cheap and easy, as they are a tried and tested
concept. So they are pretty simple to adapt to any car. Gullwings required new
engineering and testing to be designed, and then had to be adapted for the
car. And the installation of them are not cheap either. Extra bits such as struts,
torsion bars, longer wiring harnesses, and dual striker pins are not cheap. So
the price can add up quickly. Combine this with other unique technology, and
engineering that was needed to be done, and you can see why the price tag
rose so quickly.

Another problem here is that we're comparing a middle class sedan, to an
upper class sports car. This isn't a slam against anyone or their cars. It's just
that the sedan is more likely to be sold in higher volumes, and thus can
become less expensive fo consumers. Which is why a Honda @ the time can
have a lower sticker price.

So really, there isn't a true comparison here. But, if you would like to see an
excellent case of deappriciation of a car, hit up the online classifieds for
exotics, and compare the price of a brand new Lotus Esprit to one that's a
year old. Compare that to the DeLorean, and see how stable they are at
generally holding their values.

Is what D-1 charges for a DeLorean in line with what the sticker price of a new
one today might cost if the company was still in business? Who knows. You've
got prices all over the place for sports, and super cars. Esprits & Jaguars are
up in the $90K+ range, and Corvettes are down in the $40-$50K's.
Contemplating the "what-if's" when it comes to DeLoreans is like playing
throwing darts with Steven Hawkings, and trying to let him win on purpose. It's
too long and exhausting to even bother.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "treehouse2000us" <treehouse2000us@xxxx> wrote:
> If the above statment is true, I'll get my Delorean in no time.
>
> Ok, here is the reasoning. Say it was the year 1982, and you had
> pretty much unlimited resources to buy a car. The first on you look
> at is a DeLorean. The standard price is a hefty 25 k. Then for some
> reason, you decided to buy a Honda, for only, oh, $3900.
<SNIP>