Re: [DML] Re: BTTF pinball wanted

As a pinball collector/reseller AND a DMC owner, I must point out a few
errors.

> Data East was the manufacturer, and when
> they designed the unit, they really neglected it. Most noticably the
> MJF stand-in picture, and voice over.
Ever hear of licensing concerns? MJF was not required to do anything
BTTF that he didn't want (or get paid) to do. DE would have had to
license his likeness and voice seperately from the BTTF concept, story,
logo and artwork. This would have most likely doubled or tripled the
licensing costs, and made the machine impossible (ie, not cost
effective) to produce.

> Also, the scoring system is not
> a modern LED display. Rather it is the old fashioned numerical
> display. Which makes no sense as to why an LED display wasn't
> included. The technology was indeed available @ the time of
> production, and was utilized on other games that DE released @ the
> same exact time.
Actually, its an alphanumeric dual 16 digit display. BTTF the pinball
was released in June of 1990. The first dot matrix (I guess this is
what you mean by "LED display".. DE never used "LED"s, only a few early
80's manufactuers used actual LED elements. Most were VFD or gas
discharge technology) was pioneered pinball-wide by Data East on
"Checkpoint" in February, 1991. It was a 128x16 dot matrix display,
eventually they switched to a 128x32 size display that is still in use
today.

> And the sound effects I am told are from an actual DMC-12.
> Everything from the engine rev, right down to the horn are supposed
> to be 100% accurate.
Not sure where you read that. Pinball sound labs can create most any
sound either in house or by purchasing sounds from outside sources. I
know that Joe Kaminkow (designer of the machone) had a DeLorean at one
point, although I'm sure that he had one when they were designing the
BTTF machine.

I've owned several BTTF machines. Last one I sold locally for $850.
I'd say most are available in that range.