those &^%$# door lights

I have the most frustrating door lights of all time.....I can sit there a
million times and push the little door light/door ajar button and the lights
go out instantly. As soon as I close the door, the lights stay on!!!!!....Is
this magic? Obviously the door closing shut is not pushing that little knob
at all or maybe somehting is shorting somewhere...

I have the rubber tip on it and it is secured correctly on the side of
dash.....My door closes perfectly. I know these lights staying on is a common
problem and a major source of battery drain. When I drive, the red door ajar
light blinks intermittently just to remind me the problem is there :-) I
have now just unhooked the electricity to that switch until I find a
solution. I hate worrying every time I close the door that the lights are
going out and I'll have a dead battery after a few days...solutions?....Are
there better door switches out there?.....

Mike C
2109