Re: Valve Adjustment & the Shop Manual

I just completed a tune-up on a "D" and I found after 30,000 only 3
valves needed adjustment and it was very minor. The valves don't
change all that much. If you need a lot of adjustment to quiet a noisy
valve I think you will find bigger problems. BTW I find the procedure
in the manual hard to follow so I just make sure when adjusting a
valve that the mate in the cylinder I am working on is open, that way
I can be sure the one I am adjusting is closed. That ticking might not
be a valve. When you get the valve cover off look for signs of past
overheating, coked up oil, sludge etc. Check oil pressure and do a
compression test to check the health of the engine. Mechanical
problems with the motor are rare but if the engine was abused
(overheated or run with low or never changed oil) all bets are off.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757