RE: [DML] Car audio question..

1. Did you replace the speakers?? If not, it is likely this is the problem. Most speakers in a car (harsh environment) will last at most 10 years before the foam surrounds dry out and crack. The noise you describe is typical of this situation. Best thing to do is replace them.

2. On both of my cars (early and late 81) each speaker has its own set of wires from the center console to the speakers. There may have been a "common" connection between each set of speakers (or all of them) at the radio connector, but if you want to use the stock wires it is best to cut that offand separate them. Many high power car stereos use a "floating ground" system where there is no common ground. Connecting them together will cause bad audio, and in some cases damage the stereo. Your manual should tell you if it is common or floating ground.

<SNIP>