Re: R134 conversion fittings

Without getting into an argument about whether you should convert to
R-134a or not in any case although the conversion adapters will
depress the shrader valve best practice is to remove the existing
valve cores. The reason being is that to vacuum or charge the system
with the cores in place is difficult and time consuming. Since when
converting you will evacuate the system and recharge it is easy to
remove the valve cores. In normal servicing of automotive A/C systems
with R-12 most techs will use a valve tool to temporarly withdraw the
valve core out of the way. On R-134 systems with the proper
quick-connects there is no longer a need to do that so it makes no
sense to leave the valve cores in there. If there is a dimple inside
the dust cap that can depress the valve core you have the wrong dust
cap and it should be replaced. (someday someone may notice the cap is
loose and tighten it up!)
There is an alternative to R-134a. I have had a lot of success with a
drop-in replacement known as R-414. It is a blended refrigerent
compatable with the lubricant for R-12. System pressures run very
close to R-12 and the system can be topped off twice without upsetting
the blend. It is best to change as much of the old refrigerent oil as
possible but that is always good advice. My longest experience has
been 6 months but the system blows colder then when using R-12, in
fact when filling the recomendation is to only use 80% of R-414 for a
full charge. It only costs about $12 lb as compared to R-12 @ $60 lb
and you only need 2 lbs. It is compatable with all of the seals and
"O" rings. When changing to R-134a you are supposed to replace ALL
seals and "O" rings in addition to installing conversion adapters and
oil and a big label indicating the conversion. You only need the label
when changing over to R-414. Stick this post in the FWIW dept. BTW
only an EPA licensed A/C Tech is supposed to do a conversion or remove
the R-12.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757