Re: Hard start when cold

Start with the cold start system. A bad or plugged up cold start valve
could cause these symptoms. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks as
when the engine is cold they are even more noticable. Also check
ignition timming and advance. Open the distributer and make sure the
mechanical advance isn't stuck. You could also check fuel pump
pressure and delivery as if it isn't up to specs you won't have the
cold start valve working right. Try turning the ignition on and off a
couple of times before you start it cold. If that helps the problem is
fuel delivery.
On many Deloreans as with most older cars after you fix one problem
you uncover underlying problems. It can take a while to finally get
all the gremlins out.
The overheating problem could be anything from air still needing to be
bleed out to a bad fan fail relay, to the origional circuit breakers
to a bad otterstadt switch. Rule out all of the mechanical problems
like a fan motor bad or running backwards, pressure test the sytem to
rule out leaks and then go over the electrical part of it. Little by
little if you keep at it you can make the car reliable.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "delorean170" <Swoyerzone@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi, I own DeLorean DMC-12 VIN 5898, I bought her on July 25th of
> 2001. Since in my ownership I have had all kinds of problems.
finally