Re: [DML] Daily Driver DeLorean

>From my experiences with my DeLorean, I just can't reccomend buying a D as a daily driver. For the first 6 months to a year (or more) you should keep another car as a daily driver, until you can get your D into shape. I thought I had bought a DeLo that could be used as reliable transportation, as mine came with receipts. Lots of them. $12,000 in fact, and all of this was spent over the past 3 years... so the parts and work were new. After dropping a good $3000-$4000 in less than six months, and having to be towed no less than 3 separate times... I'm a pretty good testament to why you should keep other cars around, LOL (I'm sooo glad I kept my pontiac now, haha!).

My D can't go more than 2 or 3 weeks without something new popping up that needs attention. Yes mine made it on a 12 hour round trip with Bill Robertson recently, but on that trip I also burnt up a radiator fan, which in turn has caused an electrical gremlin to come out... my cooling fan keeps tripping off (despite my car having a Fan Fix).

But like Bill said, you get to know the car more intimately than you'd ever wish to, lol. Despite my D being a money pit, and a *HUGE* headache, I'm more attached to her than ever :-). I'd personally reccomend a refurbished car from PJ Grady or DMC Houston (if you've got the means, go for it). Bob mentioned that you can find a good driver for under $20k... which can be done. But he was fortunate enough to buy one of the nicest DeLoreans in the country, from one of the most fickle owners ever, LOL! More money was put into that car than it would take to buy a refurbished one. I don't think Bob can know how lucky he was to grab Rob Starlings old car :-).

So to wrap things up... don't buy a car without many thousands of dollars in upgrades (although even this doesn't guarantee a good car!), or one that isn't driven at least a couple thousand miles a year. DO keep a daily driver, lots of patience, and have lots of cash leftover for the fixes your car WILL require! Welcome to DeLorean ownership! :-D

Louie Golden
VIN 10115
Sanford, NC

It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at http://www.delorean.com