Re: My Air Conditioning Problem

You can't really diagnose A/C without a pressure gauge (you don't need
the full manifold set -- just a single gauge on the low side is fine).

You may also need to jump the compressor to force it to spin during
diagnosis (the DeLorean has a pressure cutoff switch).

Take a reading with the system at rest. Should be 100 - 110 lbs. Less
-- you may need freon. More -- your system may be overcharged.

Get a good refrigeration cycle started (in a converted R12 system this
often requires more air flow across the condensor than the fans alone
can provide -- drive the car just a short distance). If your low side
isn't ice cold & sweating, you don't have a cycle.

Take another reading (cycle still going). Should be 30 - 45 lbs on the
low side.

If your stabilized pressures were OK: higher pressure usually
indicates an obstruction in the system (can be ice -- always pull a
vacuum before charging it). Lower pressure is more common, usually an
honest to goodness freon leak, a stuck expansion valve (orifice
tube?), or a dying compressor.

BTW: you CAN do your own auto A/C in the driveway for $50.00 or less.
This includes flushing and vacuuming the system (you use the engine
itself). Contact me for details.

Bill Robertson