Re: Need help adjusting torsion bar (North Carolina)

Re: Need help adjusting torsion bar (North Carolina)

Having adjusted more than 1 door I think I can say that it is easier
to make the tools to do the job safely then to take the rear louvres
off. There is a really great article in Delorean World on not only how
to do the adjustments but what tools you need and how to make the
support bracket. Try to get a reprint.
Trying to adjust a torsion bar alone is foolish, what happens if you
dropped the anchor bracket? How would you pick it up off the floor?
There is a tremendous amount of energy in the system and just for
safety purposes this should not be attempted alone. It is best to at
least see it being done by someone experienced in this procedure and
see how it is done with the proper tools before trying yourself. This
is one of the most dangerous things you can do on a Delorean with the
potential for bodily injury AND serious damage to the car. Price a
rear window before attempting to adjust the torsion bar! Sometimes the
parts do not come apart easily and you have to work the anchor bracket
off and sometimes the bolts holding the bracket are stripped. When
working on the torsion bars you must be prepared for things not to
always "go right". This cannot be done when alone or without the
proper tools. Try to work safe, it isn't worth the risk to get hurt at
this hobby. When I adjust torsion bars I use a door prop from the door
sill to the bottom edge of the door, not from the ground, because if
the car was to move the door could fall. I also use a lock on the
strut as a back-up. Lay a large towel over the rear quater panel to
avoid scratching the stainless when leaning over. Remenber the rear
edge of the "T" panel is exposed after removing the rear plastic trim
so it is easy to cut yourself working on the anchor brackets and
bolts.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757