Re: [DML] Towing/Car Transporter (little lengthy)

Re: [DML] Towing/Car Transporter (little lengthy)

The gentlemen may be right in saying that the Jeep isn't heavy enough. The
ability to tow something as far as engine/transmission power is limited to
how much YOU (the towing vehicle) weighs. You never tow anything heavier
than the towing vehicle. The reason for this is mainly braking. While
braking on a turn, things can get a little hairy. The weight of the trailer
will push the truck further into turning, causing serious over steer (I
think that's the right term, its when a little turn becomes a big turn).
Not only that, but hard braking causes the weight of the trailer to shift
forward, giving you a heavier tongue weight. This pushes down on the
trailer hitch and lightens the weight on front of the truck, giving you less
steering traction. So basically, when the trailer is too heavy and you
make a right hand turn and brake hard, you end up with a turn that is too
tight with less traction to correct it. The effects here will reduce the
lighter the trailer gets. The only exception to this is when the trailer
has brake hookup to the towing vehicle. 18 wheelers and commercial vehicles
have this. I seriously doubt the Jeep has this. Someone respond to this if
there are any companies out there that has this hookup on a personal truck
(i.e. Toyota, Chevy, Dodge, etc). The Hummer may have it, but that's an
extreme.

My suggestion is to first find out how much your "D" weighs probably with a
full tank of gas, fluids, and whatever else you will throw in the "D" during
transportation (AKA, the curb weight). Then find the curb weight of the
Jeep. Assuming that the "D" weighs less than the Jeep, the difference
between the two should be the maximum weight of the trailer. Anything
heavier is a risk. I have seen pics where the jackknife (the point in a
turn when the trailer hits the truck) was hard enough to slam the complete
right side of the truck and trailer into each other. For the inexperienced,
here's a few tips:

1) Try driving with just the trailer for a while. Get the hang of the
weight, and get an idea of what the trailer ITSELF does on a turn and what
it does to YOU on a turn.
2) Start by driving slower and ALWAYS look further down the road than
what you are used to. Keep track of not what is just around you, but also
what is happening further down the road. This is actually a good habit for
anybody.
3) Increase your following distance. Tailgating is 10 times worse with
a trailer. Give yourself plenty of room to slow down.
4) Add weight to the trailer. See if you can find a donating lighter
car, add bricks, whatever. Pay attention to the effect the extra weight has.
It's only gonna get worse. ;-)

I have had my fair share of experiences in the military with Humvee's, 2 1/2
tons, 5 tons, 10 tons, and fully tracked vehicles weighing up to 52 tons.
The only differences between a Humvee and a 52 ton M88 recovery vehicle is
the amount of steel moving and the speed at which things happen. Things
move faster in a smaller truck. The bigger they are, the inevitable just
happens slower. The principles of over steer don't change. Best of luck to
you, and remember to be safe.

Safety First
Environment Always

-Mike A.