[DML] Re: Transmission change

Once you head down this path, the frame you start with is the least
of your worries.

The only difference between the two frames is where the shifter
mounts. Don't know where the power handling thing came from. There is
no other difference. Since you'll be using a Porsche shifter anyway,
it's not the issue.

You'll have to get new, custom, axles made (the Porsche trans is much
wider than the DMC, although the CV joints will bolt up) and the
bigger obstacle is that the Porsche Tiptronic is computer controlled,
by a Porsche computer accustomed to being hooked up to a Porsche
engine. So you'll need to figure that out. You'll also have to invent
some transmission mounts, engine mounts, and a way to connect
whatever engine you use to a Porsche transmission. There is a ton of
re-engineering to do here.

The success of this sort of project is very dependent on your
engineering/mechanical/electronics aptitude, as well as the depth of
your wallet.

Dave Swingle