Re: [DML] Stainless Steel Question?

> What I'm looking for is an amazing
> shine with little or no residue.

Then don't use polish. :-)

I used to use the 3M polish, and when I ran out of it I tried Stainless
Steel Magic for a while. Products like that will make the car look shiny,
but at the expense of filling in the grain with goop and providing a nice
sticky surface for dust to cling to. "Bare" stainless looks great, is less
of a hassle to maintain, and easily sheds off any dust that might settle on
it.

Check out Walt's post on this topic from February 2002 (message 23075). It
was that post that prompted me to clean all the polish off my car and
carefully regrain the stainless with an 80 grit sanding sponge and a
blending pad. The results were fantastic. The order in which I cleaned the
panels resulted in a bare fender next to a polished hood. The difference
was like night and day -- it looked like I had just bought a brand new
fender and stuck it on the car. It wasn't just that my stainless needed to
be regrained or that the car was dirty (I had regrained pretty recently and
had just washed the car the day before). It was a matter of getting all the
gunk out of the grain so it could shine properly.

Just put forth the initial investment of time and elbow grease and I'll
think you'll be pleased with the results. And if not, you can always go
back to polishing!

Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov 81)