Re: [DML] Re: Doors

> My door DOES need a bit of alignment, but this is something
> I do not trust myself on doing.

Jan,

I learned from my car's previous owner's mistakes that you cannot adjust the
door hinge without loosening the torsion bar. Unless something in the hinge
mount has shifted since originally assembled, this shouldn't need to be
messed with. If you loosen any of the bolts holding the hinge/door
together, the torque on the torsion bar will prevent you from putting it
back where it needs to be. Unless of course you use brute force and dent
the T-panel and the top of your door like was done to mine.

Until I fixed my hinge problem, striker pin adjustments were not very
productive. The front hinge was loose and caused the front of the door to
hit early. If you have a problem like this, then yes, you have a difficult
situation. But if the hinges are adjusted properly, don't fear doing a
striker pin adjustment on your own. For "training wheels" I put a piece of
tape over the striker pin to see which side it was hitting on. Since then I
learned to tell by feel. My problem now is keeping the striker pins from
shifting. The plastic panel goes under mine, and this makes the pin less
stable. Later production cars have a whole cut though the panel so this
isn't a problem. I might eventually make this change to my car.

Walt