Delorean Car Show Guidelines -(Long)

 OK, now that the Delorean Car Show in Memphis is over, and everyone has had
a little time to unwind and relax and reflect on the event a little, we have
a couple of questions we'd like to present to the DML.
These questions refer to the General Delorean Car Show that Ken Koncelik
put on in Memphis and have NOTHING to do with the Delorean Concours that was
held at the same event. We are NOT discussing anything about the Concours
here, OK.

The Delorean Car Show that Ken put on had about 80 cars registered for
judging. These cars were placed into different classes based on the car show
"guidelines" that were developed for this event based on information gained
from the previous Cleveland show. The results from the Memphis show have
shown us that the single largest class of cars seems to have become the
"modified" class, with more people entering their cars in the "modified"
class then the "daily driver" classes.
And we think this is great ! The time and effort and thought and work
that has gone into making these "modified" cars reflect their owners tastes
is fantastic. And the workmanship involved in these cars is first class all
the way. Many people at the event commented on how the "quality level" of all
the cars in attendance seems to improve from one show to the next. I think
this speaks highly of all Delorean owners and their interests and abilities
with their cars.
Anyway, Ken's philosophy about his car show is that the show really is not
his - he feels it belongs to the participants, and he wants everyone involved
to have an enjoyable time. He also enjoys presenting awards to those who
participate in the show and feels these awards represent all the time and
effort the owners have invested in their cars. With the largest growing class
of cars seeming to be the "modified" class, Ken feels adjustments are needed
to the car show guidelines for this class. This class may need to be expanded
and/or broken down into additional classes or changed in some way to allow
for all the different types of modifications owners are making to their cars.
This is the question we want to present to the DML. What adjustments need to
be made to the current car show guidelines to allow all the participants to
have a fun and enjoyable time and also a feeling of fair and equal treatment
when it comes to car show awards.

Now before everyone goes off the deep end, first let it be said that this
has NOT come about because anyone is complaining about the Memphis show. I
have not heard from anyone who is unhappy with the Memphis show. All things
considered I think the Memphis Show was the best so far. And Ken's intent is
to make these shows bigger and better as he continues into the future. That
is the reason for this question. Ken truly feels these shows belong to the
participants, and as a participant he is interested in your thoughts and
ideas to make this show more enjoyable for you.
Second, When you make your comments you also need to consider the entire
scope of the show and what it is Ken is trying to accomplish. Like anything
else, there are certain limits within which everyone has to work. The number
of cars, number of classes, number of judges, detail of scoring, amount of
time and many other things all have to be realistic and do-able, so to speak.
It won't do us any good to end up with 50 different classes set up for 100
cars and at the same time only have 2 judges. And that is another part of all
of this too. When you think of all the different classes and guidelines you
want to be included in the show, also think about it from the stand point of
being a judge yourself and having to follow the guidelines you just set. How
long do you think it would take you to judge someone else's car, and to what
detail, and then take that figure and do the math of how many cars are at the
show and how much time will be required to judge the entire event. The
numbers are interesting, to say the least. How many days did we say the show
was going to run ?
Anyway, we anticipate some pretty good feedback on this. We have heard
many comments in the past about the car show, both good and bad. Now everyone
has a chance to make adjustments to the show the way they would like for it
to be. And, please, the intent of this is to receive positive feedback to
help make the show better. If there are things you feel are wrong with the
show that need to be changed, that's fine, we are interested in hearing about
them. But at the same time offer a positive solution to fix the problem.
Tearing things apart is easy, fixing them and making them better is a little
harder. And the intent here is to make them better for everyone.

Thanks, Marty