Re: [DML] R-134a Conversion -- as a kit?

Re: [DML] R-134a Conversion -- as a kit?

In a message dated 6/27/02 9:09:29 AM Central Daylight Time,
BobB@xxxx writes:

> I have noticed that on newer cars there is much less rubber hose and
> more aluminum piping. Since by definition rubber hose has some
> porousity, I have figured that this was done just as a good measure for
> the environment. However, experience has now shown that this was done
> because 134 does leak through hoses more easily.
>
> Now to redesign the hoses and replace them with metal.....
>
> BoB

Bob,

actually there are rubber hoses out there that are more capable of handling
R-134a. if you go to a place that specializes in pressurized lines and
hydraulics, they can sell you some stock hose that will hold 134a.

about two months ago i had my system vacuumed and the oil replaced with ester
100, and then charged with R-134A. i had a minor leak in my flexible lines
but i had it repaired at a hydraulic shop. i didn't do any of the 'expert'
stuff either, and my A/C blows so cold i have to turn it down after it's been
running for about 30 minutes or else my hands go numb!!!!

the place i did it at said the real trick is to vacuum the system for a long
time, on the order of 2 hours. you really have to get all the moisture out
for the system to work well. these guys have been doing it this way for a
long time and haven't had any problems, and i haven't had any problems yet
either........ but i'm just crossing my fingers!

Andy
Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596
Fargo, ND 58102