From: wingd2@xxxx [mailto:wingd2@xxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 26, 2002 7:26 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] R-134a Conversion -- as a kit?

How many of you folks would be interested in a complete R-134a conversion
kit
for the DMC?

I think a R-134 "kit" is a great idea, but here is a little additional
information for what it's worth:

We converted a Delorean over to R-134 about 4 years ago to see how it
would
perform. We did all the regular stuff required to do the conversion
correctly, like replace the oil and all the O-rings and the dryer and all
the
other stuff required and then charged the system up with R134. The results
are the car has run fine for the last 4 years and 40,000 or so miles. The AC
system puts out a decent amount of cold air and it will keep the interior
comfortable on a normal Midwest summer day of 85 or so, but it definitely
does not perform as well as the R-12 systems in regards to cold air output,
but we kinda expected that going in to all this. The one "problem" we have
run into is the original hoses on the car are porous enough that they allow
the R-134 to seep out over time, causing the system to run low on
refrigerant. And this "problem" seems to have gotten worse as time has gone
on. We are to the point now that in order to keep the system operating
correctly we are having to add a small (12oz) can of R-134 to the system
once
a month. And, yes, we have checked everything over, and, no, there are no
other leaks in the system. As time goes on it seems the original R-12 hoses
are loosing there ability to contain the R-134 more all the time.
Does anyone else have any similar experiences with this ?

Marty

moderator@xxxx

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews