Re: [DML] Rattling Brake Pads (rear)

Jan,

There is a difference between anti-rattle shims and anti-rattle springs. I
think that the former is a misnomer. The real purpose of the shims on the
front is to reduce squealing and do nothing to stop rattles. If the front
rattled anyway, then your rotors would be so warped that you would have
excessive pulsation on braking.

The anti-rattle springs on the rear are not listed in the parts manual and
(I think) never were installed at the factory. If the rear rotors were
perfectly surfaced, then there would be no rattle problems. The rear rotors
can be warped considerably before they will give a pulsing brake, but only a
slight warp will cause a rattle. The rattle on the rear happens when a high
spot on the rotor rubs against the brake pad lifting it up and then dropping
it after the high spot has passed. With each rotation of the rotor, the
process cycles giving a rhythmic click. With up to 4 pads doing this
independently, it can sound like a random rattle. The noise itself comes
from the metal part of the brake pad dropping on the retaining pins. This
condition does not in anyway compromise safety. It is just a plain
annoyance hearing it click.

The cure is to install anti-rattle springs, and these should be very simple
to make yourself if you cannot source them locally. A picture here would be
worth a 1000 words. If you would like, I can e-mail you a photo of what it
should look like. I just need to scan the negative (if I can find it.) How
the spring works is that the center of it hooks over the top outside center
of the brake pad with two straight arms hooked/sprung under the retaining
pins. (It is symmetrical about a vertical axis.) It provides enough
tension to stop a high spot on the rotor from shifting the pad. Simple eh?
An easy way to obtain the spring wire is to buy a generic throttle return
spring and only use the long straight end, but doing this x4 wastes a lot of
wire. You might also find the wire at a hobby shop. It definitely isn't
rocket science.

Walt

P.S. At the Memphis show, Ed Uding pronounced your name like Americans
spell, "Yawn". I always thought it was supposed to have a "J" sound. (yawn
:-)