Play on front wheel

Hello again,

When driving at +30mph speeds my car develops a rather annoying
tremble in the steering wheel. It turned out to be a series of things
causing this, but solving all of those has only lessened the tremble.

It turned out I had a loose lower balljoint; since the split pin in
the castle nut was too thin it had forced itself loose.
This in turn totally wore out my wheelbearing which I replaced a week
ago. I checked EVERYTHING on the LF suspension to be torqued to the
right specs, had my wheels balanced, the car aligned, had the front
wheels balanced on the car, but I still have play.

Whan checking yesterday I found I have play only in the up-down
direction, front to rear is solid as a house. The pay seems to be
between the hub and the knuckle, since the brakedisc also moves in
relation to the dust/water shield. The rest of the suspension does
not move at all.

I'm at a loss on what this could be; the bearing is new, has less
than 100 miles on it now, all fasteners are tight, the fitting of
the bearing in the hub and on the axle are tight, the axle is secure
in the knuckle, even my speedo works!

What else could this be? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000