Re: Water Leaks

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "daveswingle2" <dswingle@xxxx> wrote:
> My souvenir of Memphis was a reminder of my continued inability to
> find the water leak that bugs me every time I drive in the rain (i.e.
> every car show). It doesn't happen all the time. Going INTO Memphis -
> no leaks. Coming out - after about 1/2 hour in the rain, I get a drip
> that seems to come from the left knee pad and lands on my left shin.
> Only when slowing down, (like it collects in the knee pad and then
> falls out on deceleration).
>
> When I got home a ran a hose all around the area - nothing. I
> suspected the hood stop/wiper opening, but upon further investigation
> those are in the wrong place for where I'm getting wet. It seems to
> me that to collect in the knee pad it would HAVE to be coming in
> through the door seal.
<SNIP>

Have you tried looking under the kneepad to see perhaps if the water leaking
in has left a stain where it has trailed down?

Whats odd about this leak is the following: 1. the leak doesn't occur when the
vehicle is stationary, but it's too high to be a forced in leak from a seal on the
bottom of the car. 2. The leak doesn't happen when the car is in motion, but
only when it slows down. This only narrrows me down to 2 places: The bottom
of the windshield, and/or the rubber seals on the windshield wiper blade
arms.

Try this test: Get a high pressure nozzle for you garden hose, and spray the
bottom of the windshield for a few minutes in a sweeping motion, and see if
anything happens. If nothing, try the test again, but this time turn the wipers
on. Perhaps the seal on the drivers side wiper is bad, and when the wiper arm
turns up, it exposes the bad portion of the seal. Then if you have the leak, try
tracing it back.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"