Re: [DML] New DeLorean Parts (TAB's specifically)

Re: [DML] New DeLorean Parts (TAB's specifically)

As I was restoring my Delorean the TAB's were the first to be
changed. I noticed that my drivers side one was missing the shims
and upon removal of the bolt (with a big hammer and swearing) I
found it bent! The passenger side one was in perfect condition
though (I changed it anyway). Funny but the drivers side one had one
nut and the passenger side one had two nuts abd they were of the
self locking ones too. I would double nut it just to be on the safe
side becasue the stress that they have to handle along with the
pivoting action from the Trailing arm and the bushing itself can
make a "virtual" wrench and loosen even the tightest self locking
nut. The second nut would keep the other in place since it locks
against it and there is nothing that rubs on it to loosen it. IMHO
of course.

Steve

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "tmpintnl" <tobyp@xxxx> wrote:
> Martin - During my activities changing out TAB's and generally
> checking the condition of other people's suspensions, I have run
> across some cars that seem to be more "accurately made" than
others.
> In checking TAB's in these cars, the bolts slid easily out, with
no
> apparent preloads or misalignments. There was very little
evidence of
> wear or distress on the bolts, or on the other components in the
> joint. The owners of these few cars wanted new TAB's anyway, but
> was struck by the easy removal and installation of the bolts. By
> contrast, other cars required a large hammer, pry bars, and a
certain
> amount of swearing and cursing to get the old bolts out, and the
new
> bolts went in with some minor degree of difficulty. As is the
case
> with all of these beautiful cars, there is a large variation in
how
> they were put together. You obviously have one of these rare gems
> that were assembled correctly and accurately. Hang on to her.
Alas,