New to the Group

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the group and excited to learn as much as
possible about this neat car.

My exotic car history started in high school when I
bought a Porsche 914. I then owned a 914 GT along
with the 914. Then about 2 years ago I traded the 914
GT for a stunning Yellow 1977 Lotus Esprit S1. The
catch was the Lotus was in mint customized restored
form but the engine was blown. $10K later I have
completed the mechanical restoration, boosted the
naturally aspirated engine to 190 HP (very close to
the Turbos 210 HP). My other current car is a Red
1987 TVR 280i convertible which I purchased from a
collector for a very reasonable price with only 10K
original miles. After getting the minor details of
the TVR worked out for a very reasonable amount, I
have sold my Infiniti and now use it as my daily
driver.

I share my recent history with you all because the De
Lorean has plenty in common with the Lotus and the
TVR. I also share it with you because I believe like
the Lotus and the TVR, the De Lorean is an underrated
fantastic exotic. Like the Lotus Esprit, the De
Lorean was designed by Guigiaro of ItalDesign and
partially engineered by Colin Chapman of Lotus
(fiberglass body and steel Y frame). Like the TVR it
uses mass produced proven key mechanical components
that make it affordable to maintain and reliable for
daily use (e.g. Renault PVR vs. German Ford
"Cologne").

The other reason I point out my history is because I
like owning cars that are unique and which with
tasteful improvements/restoration can bring to their
potential within reason (No rigs please).

I would like to learn specifically about the costs
involved and modifications available for the Renault
PVR engine, it could use 50 HP or more. Also the
costs involved in painting the outer panels, mike mine
dark metallic forest green in honor of its home
country Ireland. Has anyone redone their leather
interior, thinking of dark tan or red clay color for
this one. Finally, classic 3 Piece BBS rims or
tasteful similar design rims. What a wish list, hugh.
Perhaps in the next 2 years I will be able to build
my ultimate De Lorean with everyones help. I could
have not build my dream Lotus Esprit without the Yahoo
Groups help.

I apologize if my email is too long. Don't mean to
offend anyone. Look forward to being a future owner
of another underrated exotic.

Mauricio Mesa
South Florida
Lotus Esprit S1