melted fuses

 Hi all. I apologize if this is in an archive somewhere. I went to start
my car after the winter hibernation. Cranked, but would not turn
over. Adding some gas directly to the carb would start the engine, but as
soon as that fuel burned up, the engined stalled. In troubleshooting the
fuel pump, found the fuse for the fuel pump melted in the fuse box. Common
problem? Faulty, rusty, intermittent wiring? I am thinking of doctoring a
fused by-pass, but using the same fuel pump wire. Any ideas/alternate
suggestions?

Mark Fearer
3072
Manchester, New Hampshire