Re: melted fuses

A #7 meltdown is not common but does happen. The cause is too high a
draw and oxidation and loose fuseholder contacts. The usual repair is
to remove the wires from the fuseholder and install an in-line
fuseholder. NEVER OVERFUSE. That is never use a bigger fuse than
specified as it will change the protection of the circuit and wiring.
It is a little ironic that the part that is supposed to protect the
car from damage can actually damage the car! Let this be a lesson to
all owners to inspect the fuseholder occasionaly, this is a case of
"out of sight, out out of mind". The "hidden" areas of the car MUST be
watched. During Tech sessions where the Delorean venders look over
cars many times very obvious things are found, all the owner had to do
was look and they would have seen these things for themselves way
before. If you don't have a Fanzilla I recomend keeping a constant eye
on the "Fan Fail Bypass" wire as they have been known to melt. If you
start to smell something unusual the first place to look is in the
fuseholder area. Also look at the battery once in a while for loose
connections, battery acid leakage, or broken hold-down strap.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Mark Fearer <mfearer@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi all. I apologize if this is in an archive somewhere. I went to
start
> my car after the winter hibernation. Cranked, but would not turn
> over. Adding some gas directly to the carb would start the engine,
but as
> soon as that fuel burned up, the engined stalled. In troubleshooting
the
> fuel pump, found the fuse for the fuel pump melted in the fuse box.
Common
> problem? Faulty, rusty, intermittent wiring? I am thinking of
doctoring a
> fused by-pass, but using the same fuel pump wire. Any
ideas/alternate