RE: [DML] Engine Numbers

This discussion has come up before, and last time it came up in a direct discussion with a fellow DMC owner the thought was that a more accurate number of "DeLoreans Build" could be assumes based on the engine serial numbers.

The engines were delivered to DMC as assembled units from Renault, so I would assume Renault put the numbers on the engines. The question is, did Renault assign unique numbers to engines going to DMC (as opposed to other cars) and were the consecutive?

At a small car show last year I took note of 4 DeLoreans at the show and their engine serial numbers. I found no direct correlation although it seemed that the engine number was in the range of the VIN. (higher VIN's had higher engine numbers)

It would be nice to collect some more data on this. Maybe the DOD/Production Chronology (http://www.dmcnews.com/faq/n_chron.htm) can be modified to contain this data. Heck we could also include frame numbers too.

If you will be in Memphis, this will be a good opportunity to do some research yourself.