Re: [DML] Asbestos heat shield & vibration

Re: [DML] Asbestos heat shield & vibration

You said:
"One thing that I did notice is that the engine will often be much
> hotter *after* I leave it off for a few minutes ..."

This condition, known as "heat soak", is caused when the engine is stopped
and engine temperatures increase because coolant is no longer transferring
heat away form the engine block. This should not be of concern as long as
upon re-starting the engine the cooling fans turn on and quickly bring the
temperature down to normal.

You also said:
"One cause for this may be the asbestos heat shield".

Negative; even a completely missing heatshield will have no effect on engine
cooling.

Finally concerning your vibration problem. Try taking your car to a facility
that can do an "on the car spin balance" alignment procedure. Most chain
operations like Pep Boys, Firestone, etc. are not equipped to perform this
type of alignment. The "on the car spin balance" alignment procedure is
much more precise than the off the car balance procedure. Not many alignment
shops are equipped for this procedure. Look for a shop that specializes in
performance or race car alignments.

DMC Joe
Memphis Updates: http://www.geocities.com/dmcjoe/home.html
Tech Information, DMC Joe Help Club, & Store
See You In Memphis!