Re: recommended coolant - dex-cool?

That's interesting news. But, just to clarify, are we talking about
official Dex-Cool made by GM, or are we talking about Dex-Cool
compatable coolants such as Prestonstone 5/150 that is orange
colored? I'd also be curious about a little back ground on the
cars themselves that used the coolant. There could also be
variables in both the purity of the water used, age/condition of the
previous coolant, etc... I've only heard of one other vehicle using
Dex-Cool that has had corrosion problems, but it was a factory
problem of silica within the engine block, and nothing related to
the coolant itself.

I don't run official Dex-Cool in my car, I use the Prestone 5/150. I
do agree that running regular green coolant shouldn't be any
problem, because we would assume that everyone here does
infact change their coolant every 2 years anyhow. The only part of
my cooling system that is original is the engine, the metal pipes,
and the heater. So If figure that the extra protection that the 5/150
has to offer is worth it for my parts just in case... If nothing else,
there is one big advantage to the coolant: Because of the orange
color, you can quickly identify coolant leaks on the ground to see
if they are from your car. When I went for my first smog check, the
tech thought that my car had overheated in line because of a
sizable puddle of green coolant. No worries for me since my
coolant is orange.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "daveswingle2" <dswingle@xxxx> wrote:
> When Don Steger was out here for our last tech session, he
indicated
> that he's starting to see corrosion problems in cars using the
Dex-