Re: [DML] upper RR screen

> I would like to know if the screen warping has anything to do with the
> distortion of the under body under the T-panel from having it pull apart
> with age.

It did for me. My T-panel was warped upwards a bit in the back, and it had
bent the plastic screen over time, but the only real concern I had about it
was that it made the louvers rub against the T-panel when opening.

Once the T-panel was removed, however, it was easy to see the root cause --
the steel plate that holds the rear ends of the torsion bars was pulling
away from the fiberglass. I couldn't believe the thing was actually *glued*
down, considering the amount of stress it's under.

The fix is actually pretty easy (if you're comfortable with removing the
torsion bars), and can be found in the tech section of the DMCNews site:
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/tbar.htm

Once this was complete and the T-panel was flat again, the plastic screen
went back on without much trouble. Mine was pliable enough to pull fairly
straight again without applying any heat. Bending the stainless clips on
the T-panel a little will help pull the plastic into shape, but if it's
warped badly you'll probably have to drill a new hole or two.

(Huge public thanks to Marty Maier for helping me with this process on my
car!)

Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov 81)