RE: [DML] Legend Turbo Charged Engines

I also spend many years researching, and spoke to one of the engineers thatworked for Legend.

There is no documentation I have found that confirms any specific number ofTWIN TURBO (there were a few single turbos made too) engines that were built, however you are very correct that there were a number of them produced (I estimate between 8 and 10).

Two TWIN turbo engines were installed in to Alpine 310's before the DeLorean car was available to them. I have been told these cars are still around.
Two more TWIN turbo engines made it in to car #501 and #502.
A few more engines were built for dyno and endurance testing, I believe most of these ended up in the hands of people closely related to the Legend project in 1982. A few have since made it in to the hands of collectors, including one that I have which was purchased from Legend Industries by the previous owner of my car when Legend closed up.

Two of the TWIN turbo engines I know of are no longer complete and will probably never run again.

The engine owned by Delorean One has been argued to be the engine that was sent on the publicity tour by DMC to promote the future of the car company.SSI documents that this engine was incomplete internally. If this is correct, DeLorean One may have "completed" the engine but if they did it was likely not to be with the Legend parts. NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED, butsecond hand stories from people who had seen this engine installed in a car were not favorable. I'd love to get some confirmed information on this engine.

As far as value goes, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Car 502 is by far the best well known, so if I were ever to consider selling my Legend engine, I would use recent values or sales of 502 asa guideline..

Why do you ask? Do you want to buy or sell one? If your shopping for a Legend Engine, I warn you to know what your looking for (Or enlist the help of someone who does). I lost count of the number of times I have been told by someone that they had a FACTORY twin turbo DeLorean, and it turned out to be one of the well know aftermarket kits.. Good thing I did not start toignore those claims, or I would have missed buying the one I have! :)

There are scattered bits of information that you can collect in the DML archives on this subject too.. It will require a good amount of search time on your part, but may be rewarding depending on what your looking for.