Re: Alignment problems?

Don't forget the ride height also affects these specs. If the height
has been changed or the springs are weak it will throw these specs
off. Another reason for checking alignment is to check for damaged,
worn, bent parts. If the shop is any good at all they will check the
suspension parts before attempting to align the car as is is
impossible to properly set the alignment with worn, bent parts. If the
shop couldn't set the rear then get in your car and RUN as any good
shop with a 4 wheel machine should have no problem as long as they
have the specs. Even if the machine doesn't have the specs in it's
database most alignment machines have a way for the operater to enter
"Custom" specs so it can be done manually (if they know what they are
doing!).. It is possible to set "unadjustable" settings with shims and
washers but that assumes the tech knows what he is doing! BTW if it is
neseccary to start shimming then something is bent! A properly set up
car will not only have tires that will wear evenly but the ride is
MUCH more enjoyable, the car won't tend to wander, the steering wheel
will return nicely, the steering wheel will be straight ahead when
going straight. A Delorean properly set up tends to go where you point
it and won't wander. When you accelerate it should go straight without
any hint of torque steer. Find a shop that does the local police cars
and ambulances, they usually have techs that know what they are doing
as the police like to have cars that go straight!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "tmpintnl" <tobyp@xxxx> wrote:
> This is great information for everybody's benefit. The neutral
> position of the front wheels (no toe in) will make the car somewhat
> "twitchy" and directionally unstable. The condition can also cause
> resonant wheel shimmy at certain speeds. The positive toe-in is
> important for these purposes, among many. (As an aside, all modern
> jet aircraft have the engines toed in approximately two degrees for
> the same reasons). The front caster *can* be adjusted by
appropriate
> placement of shims in the joint between the front sway bar and the
> lower control arm, although this is not mentioned in the manuals. A
> caster difference between the two front wheels will have a negative
> effect on steering stability as well. As noted, camber is not
> adjustable unless you have custom suspension links that are made to
be